An aerodynamic front end on a truck isn’t a concern for manufacturers because the back end of the truck is a giant brick that drags backward in destabilizing alternating vortices. The design response on new trucks is a massive square and flat front end that pushes a giant wall of air much larger than the truck itself, utilizing the width and length of the truck to overcome stability issues for the rear end. The Tesla Cybertruck is the only truck that created an aero solution to the rear of the truck, and so also has an aero front end- a front end that augments the solution of the rear. My previous mods stabilized the vehicle at high speed, and increased mileage by an average of 50%, but didn’t address airflow from the front bumper to the windshield.

New aeromod concept: 30″ x 7″ platform with seven airtabs on front Shrockworks bumper.
The airtabs create rooster-tails of entrained vortices that rise 3 to 4 times the height of the tab- so about as high as the floodlights and angling back/up to soften the bumper’s tube risers and the flow over the hood. The black tabs at R are from the prior mod, and stabilize air at the front wheel wells/ tires.
The tabs are just behind a run of pipe- the round edge rolls the air to the tab, rather than leading with a hard thin edge. The underside of the pipe rolls air under and stalls it below. This is an important pressure variant for front end stability.
The multiple wedges below the platform are for more than structure, they also structure the ramming/stalling air and stabilize the dead air pushing in front of the bumper. The platform without the tabs is a small wing, with the tabs it is little engine of airflow. The five black tabs under the truck are from the prior aeromod, and structure the “dirty air” below.
Cardboard mockup.
I had thought I’d use the D-Ring holes, but decided keep those clear for the D-Ring instead.
I’d thought a wedge would be best, then reconsidered the air stall v lift and went with a modified wing to increase the airflow stability on the airtabs.
Yesterday’s seamwork is ready to affix. 45 degrees in the shop with hail and gropple and rain, with the garage door open for ventilation- after 3 hours I’m freezing up and need to make a run for more epoxy glue, then back for another 3 hours in the much nicer 53 degree afternoon.
I pull from this stack of prior seams as well, as I like the wavy tapered edges. If I did another round of seams, I think I’d have them perfected… not … gunna .. doit. Or so I say now.
80 percent seamed, all but the bottom most portion. The red at L is the reflection of the redwood deck, it shows up in all the images- and indicates how reflective the Orb is.
Crabapple blooms.
Orb is entirely skinned in ocean; new oceania was created yesterday and firmed up overnight.
South pole with pole.
Another 8 hours of art time are absorbed into the Orb…
I added two transparent “windows” today as well, cutting the fiberglass ball and skinning with clear & color panel created yesterday.
Layered edges with the new window panel overlayed giving a sense of depth.
The edges around the door are cleaned up, and skin-thin at top to allow paper to be slid inside.
Center is a clear-edged seam cover from a trove created yesterday. All too wide, and most are not color-correct; so a do-over tomorrow, then wait til Saturday before they are ready.
Kwanzan Cherry is just starting, and will be slowed by a 3 day rain/snow storm.
The flat ocean plates are rounded, fitted, and affixed.
So many triangles, and one circle.
The next trick is seaming all the gaps as on the R side vs the unseamed L.
So many gaps. Is seems that I’ll seam similarly tomorrow as I did today and yesterday. (the pins aren’t doing anything- it was a failed try…one of legions)
I also need to make more ocean.
Orb has disallowed a week’s worth of ideas so far, but we seem to have reached a turning point.
Each triangle is a unique objet d’arte.

Orb is sphere; Orbisphere.
Base is wire-wheeled, wiped clean with acetone, and spray-painted.
Orbisphere spindle. The new variety of resin should arrive tomorrow…then artin’ can start.
Apres-snow tulips in cold sunlight (with Weeohknee).
The xeriscape is ready for Easter Sunday.
Sleeve pipe is affixed to the top 1/2 of the globe. I connected the halves into the whole globe with fiberglass, but had to pull it apart as it was heading toward a fail- the halves are now curing out before I try again tomorrow.
Magic magnet door is in place. Missives can be slipped into the gap.
Door open.
The door can be shut from further missives by the little circle held in place by, you guessed it, a magnet.
Meanwhile, Spring!
Chilly spring day with snow on the way…

I have an experimental project that needs to be completed/delivered by May 3 for an event. The project has a small budget, that may just cover media costs; but it is a mad science of media use in a manner not intended for the media (casting resin), so my kind of fun. The ask is …

Read More