It’s a funny thing to propose a conceptual work of art- using appropriated found objects in a nod to Duchamp’s “readymades”- then have to create a model of the work by fabricating no-longer ready-made objects: in this case, the dust broom.
I started the Whisk Broom bush, but didn’t like how it was coming out. I went back for yet another online search and finally found some tiny brooms (I had been modifying tassels, and it just didn’t read well). It will be next week before they arrive, so that gives me time to play around with the Push Broom tree.
The base will be a grouping of stainless steel pipe, of at least 2″ diameter. The branches may be smaller stock, as I can weld the brooms together and bolster the structure. If the commission comes through, this will require a lot of tack-welds, positioning and repostitioning, marking, then taking the whole thing apart to start at the top and make solid welds throughout.
I like the internal branches showing, but the skirt needed to drop further- as I want it to read more as a topiary tree. Since taking the images below I have gone back in and added branches similar to the ones visible in the images above- they would be visible for the viewer who gets up close to the tree, and a layer of tight branches also takes care of the issue of kids crawling up inside the tree and getting stuck.