Monthly Archives: December 2009

Elizabeth spent her days in the loony bin of Graduate School making these little baubles. They began innocently enough, finding a few kits at an upscale garage sale. The Silver Princess below was her second, and according to the Elves that think them up- the hardest. They take days. And days. And a few more days. Plus, maybe, an afternoon lingering into the 10pm hour. But they sure are purdy- I made the mistake of thinking a few more on the tree would really make things Xtra Xmasy. My bad. Now she is combing Ebay for affordable kits…








Read and post comments |
Send to a friend

Our first Christmas as Newlyweds in our new-to-us house got us to thinkin about the nice little pine tree out front, and how it was a bit lonely, and maybe would like a bit of holiday cheer. First we wrapped the big gate that was my first project for the house back in June. The bow was looking dapper with a layer of hoar frost this morning.
The outdoor ornaments are made with v-8 cans, Coke cans, holiday paper plates & plastic cups, brought to life with magic of hot-glue and Christmas Cheer.














Read and post comments |
Send to a friend

Over the weekend where the area mountains saw 48″ of snow in 48 hours (and the roads were head-shaking impossibilities) we hunkered down and put on our Elf Caps, Elf Tool Belts, and Elfin sweet-tooth for our first foray into Gingerbread Construction. Luckily, construction specs are very lax for Gingerbread Houses, as all we had for chimney was marshmallows- we see the possible conflagration and loaded the interior space with chocolate just in case a Semore episode of fire occurs. The house has a bit of public art; an interpretive tree, and a simple  modular repetition peppermint stack (so conceptually minimal!)




Read and post comments |
Send to a friend

The buck quail has used up nearly all of my remaining clay. I already have around 100 lbs of clay on him, and have only just “skinned” the foam and gave the form some symmetry. Yesterday I went a tad ocd and layed up a vast amount of clay over the wire/foam armature that I had made the day before- now my hands are beat up with bruising under the fingernail from all the torsion of pressing clay into place. I should have kept layering up foam for another day, as the scale of the critter requires huge amounts of clay to backfill areas and/or change a dimension.
I have two five gallon buckets of clay left, but they are a hard clay given to me by a friend who was laying up an aerodynamic bike shell. I guess I’ll see how it lays on, then tear down two 1/2 life size figures and feed them to the beast as well.
Considering all that, I also have a foreboding that I should just tear the whole thing down and start over. The weight has already compromised the armature. We’ll see how it is going by early next week. If it looks dubious and the gesture of the piece hasn’t come together, then I’ll rip it down. My welders arrive next week (a week late), and if I go for a re-do then I’ll weld an armature together- rather than rely on heavy gauge aluminum wire.
Guess I’ll take a trip to the library for more books on tape!

Read and post comments |
Send to a friend