Trout Habitat of Sugar House Monument Plaza: an update
The patina is holding up nicely. A winter without snow has meant no road salt.
What was once a side street and parking is now a tidy plaza- with fish.
A trout drifts in an eddy of the plaza.
This single swimmer is headed to the corner intersection, where he is in line to meet up with the big triple group.
The single swimmer’s dorsal fin is just above the triple group. The fish were placed for these kind of alignments, bringing harmonized movement to the plaza.
Moving through the crosswalk gives pedestrians a nice view of the big group.
Just the right height for cars waiting at the light.
The fish are swimming up behind the pedestrian, and a few blocks farther up the school of fish from 2009 are in the intersection.
In the foreground is a beautiful compass in green, blue, and bronze inlay. It was carefully removed and refurbished. The colors and bronze elements tie in the trout at the ends of the plaza. Anchoring the entire plaza is a partial view of the base of Millard Filmore Malin’s The Founders of Pioneer Industry (1930-34). Added to Malin’s work is a fountain/waterwork. Wow!
Another single at the opposite end of the plaza contemplates his route through the granite shoals.
As pedestrian traffic slows for the mid-block crosswalk, they can meet a fish.
He swims singly, but forms a loose group with the pair swimming alongside the street.
The mottled patina alludes to the dapple of sunlight through water in a clear river.
The view of from the crosswalk on the other side of the street. This also gives a full view of the great art-deco lighting on the plaza.
The old Granite Furniture sign is refurbished and spinning above the fish.
The paired unit align with another pair, still within the ever-shrinking construction enclosure.
fish in a net, but not for long…