Archive

Monthly Archives: July 2015

IMG_0001

6 Blue Bird Houses with a slot opening and front opening door.

I think I’m done now. Well, no, I still have to brand them with my insignia. And I might make an Alpine Meadows brand after my father’s Angus brand. So that makes these identical 6, plus the lid-opening / hole entry, plus the proto-house that I converted to a wren house by laying a smaller 1″ hole over the original 1.5″ hole. The bluebirds brood up to 3 times in a season, so if I get these in place soon they might find tenants this summer.

IMG_0002

Hanging hardware solution- my radial arm saw cuts metal as well as wood, with the same blade. A three foot section of pre-drilled and offset galvanized steel made 6″ sections for each house. This will make anchoring to a fence pole easy and secure.

IMG_0003

Pull the pin to unlock the door, it swivels upward and the old nest can be cleaned out.

IMG_0004

Bluebirds prefer a slot, while Starlings and Sparrows don’t; so new design ditches the hole for a slot (1 8/30 high).

I found some new info on bluebirds, showing that they prefer slot openings and it deters other birds. I also didn’t like the open-top box, for structural reasons as well as access for cleaning. This design is tighter, stronger, and comparatively seamless- it should shrug off Montana winters much more effectively.

IMG_0003

The open-top model leads to structural issues over seasons, and the open-front makes cleaning simpler. The lock is just a copper pin that pierces the outer wall and seats into the door.

IMG_0005

The back panel has a big hanging hasp left over from another project, and the bottom will anchor to the pole with a screw through a predrilled hole from underneath through the back. The arc of holes over the hasp are air holes, and the sides have half-inch air gaps near the peak.

IMG_0007

As long as most of the afternoon was spent figuring out the prototype, might as well take a few more minutes to crank out another with the remaining length of board.

IMG_0008

This model has every upgrade possible, let’s hope the birdies move in.

IMG_0001

Mold of tarantula’s body: silicon and plaster.

IMG_0007

Outside of a spider, a dog is a man’s best friend. Inside of a spider, turns out, is hollow and you can see just fine.

IMG_0002

Legs and backpack molded in silicon and plaster.

IMG_0003

The molds are cut apart, but not separated all the way to the bottom. This allows an easier wax pour, and ensures proper registration.

IMG_0006

The spider after molding.

IMG_0010

The wax bits, cooling down for chasing/fitting. I’ll likely have it cast as these separate parts, then weld it back together when it is in bronze.