These two small figures have been coming to life at a snail’s pace. Work small and fast, I thought. Use images from a long ago trip to the Rodin gardens in Paris, I thought. Try a new molding technique, I thought. I am now ready to mix up the silicon and pour the figures, after which I will cut the molds mostly apart. Then at some point I will pick up some plastic resin casting media, and see how that works. It everything mostly works out, then these may act as foundational figures for a mashup of forms I’ve been thinkin’ on- using the new-to-me media of casting resin. Ongoing to all that, I will continue creating new figures at this small scale.
E and I took a tour around the ranch driving and hiking, checking 7 of 11 spring fed troughs and ponds.
E and I jumped up to Montana for Labor Day, driving up on Thurs and returning on Tues. We were pushed up with a strong tail wind that blew out all the forest fire smoke of the summer, and brought in rainy fall temps in the 30’s at night and the 50’s in the day. On Friday we walked up the road and cleaned out a blue bird box already packed full of seed with a mouse nest on top. We ramped up to real work by dinking around with the contents of the built in bookshelves, and moving everything out of the parlour. The blustery day led to a late afternoon coffee break, as our big job of the trip needed starting: refinishing the Parlour floor. It is the last room needing the floor refinished, and it is the roughest of them all. With proper caffeination we stripped half of the parlour floor in a team effort with E laying on denatured alcohol with steel wool to loosen the 100 year old varnish, while I came next with a flooring blade and peeled up a layer of goo/wood that would immediately turn to black tar if not constantly wiped away. We finished the rest of the room Saturday morning, and I began pressing twine into the large and small gaps between the boards. We had to make a run to Great Falls for more twine as each gap needled multiple layers. There was also the side project of finishing out the area of the living room floor covered by the couch. These projects lasted a bit longer than the wet and wind- plus the power went out Saturday evening all over the county from the storm. The cats made their first mouse kill that night, and another the next night.