Archive

Monthly Archives: November 2017

DSC06959

It has been in the 60s and sunny for a week, so I grew this Pergola with autumn magic beans.

It has been in the 60s and sunny for a week, so I grew this Pergola with autumn magic beans. I worked on this in 5 stages, each stage taking me outside for the nicest part of the afternoon (after spending the nicest part of the morning out walking Nora in the hills or to the park).

I jumped up the height of two posts from the old abandoned fence line, adding two risers of 4×4″x4′. One riser is nicely fitted by cutting matching “L”s and bolting them flush, the other riser is directly under the eve of the big green tool shed and so it is connected with an overlap to the outside to jump up higher than the roofline.

The lofted structure is mainly pressure treated wood rather than Redwood, as it will be covered with the vine soon enough. The 2×4 running boards forming the outside triangle are bolted to the risers, and jointed at their ends like a woodworking nerd would do. Also, most Redwood (and many other hardwoods) is illegally harvested from Peruvian rainforest- exposed in an investigative report last week- so I limited the Redwood to four 2x2x8 runners of the top layer. The mid layer is toed on one end with pairs of 3.5” deck screws, and pinned on the opposite end with one screw- the triangle form made for some crazy drilling angles. The top layer of narrow Redwood stabilizes the structure from warping and twisting. The project was funded as an anniversary gift from my mom last summer, knowing I would eventually come up with another build-out for the yard. Thanks Mom!

DSC06958

The trumpet-flower vine will cover this in a jiffy next summer.

DSC06956

A few winters ago the dead cherry tree that the vine ensconced collapsed in an 80mph wind storm. I propped up the vine and replaced the tree with a 12′ 4×4; 3 feet in the ground and 9 feet in the air. The vine has overgrown the new pole and I had to trim it back hard this fall.

DSC06961

Nora has decided that this section of the yard can now be lounged in.

DSC06964

This is the view while writing this post. The wisteria pergola of a few summers ago is to the left, and the new trumpet pergola is straight through the middle aside the green shed.

Advertisements
DSC06952

Weld and Chase complete.

The Ibis is now ready for the watergate. I thought I had a solution in the works with a professional watergate manufacturer wanting to make the gate aspect, but it looks like it will be up to me. That idea cost me a month waiting for a bid, but luckily this project isn’t due ’til April.

DSC06953

Thinking about how nice it will be to have a watergate body one day.

DSC06954

Legs can’t really think for themselves, or contemplate the future.

DSC06955

Broze Ibis & Proto-Ibis

_DSC5963

The Watergate Scandal: A local manufacturer specializing in water gates said they loved the idea and would be able to create the watergate cheaply out of spare bits since it won’t have to hold water. They were surprised when I asked for a bid, as they just wanted to get started.  A month later their bid: $3,400 and asking for a go-ahead to get started on their 2.5 month process. Nutz. Next week begins a return to plan “A” of buying a brand name gate for $860 and adding some DangerHart mods. 

DSC06945

Ibis migrated to the yard for some “me time” to get himself together.

The Ibis cast clean and Nora drove down to Alpine with me to fetch all the bits from the foundry. I welded the windows in place ’til parts needed chasing prior to more welding; then I went and worked on the Mustang for the rest of the afternoon, because chasing is for the birds. The ‘ol ponycar has been getting a spa-treatment radiator flush for the past 3 days, and today was the last day of the process.  I took her to a classic car show in Liberty Park last weekend, and being around car-guys got me past my procrastination.

DSC06949

Windows are back in place.

DSC06950

Trying a new method of keeping my Tungsten clean and sharp for a tidier weld, after youtubing a few welding tips vids; always room to improve on the technical.

DSC06951

The weld is clean, but maybe a bit too much amperage.