Ice House: metal skin and mud.

Cutting the expanded metal to fit the seams. Each seam is a different width, with tapering runs and all sorts of variety. I thought up this table-jig while staying under the covers this morning.
The table allows me to dial in the size so I can cut it out neat and easy with the jigsaw.
The metal runs are sproingy and sharp and eat a pair of gloves over the day.
Each seam is fitted with a run of expanded metal.
The screws squeeze the metal horizontally and vertically, if you play with the drive angle- making the fit extremely tight.
This Makita impact driver sets nearly 1000 screws on a single charge!
The yellow handled shears in their holster help fit the corners and adjust any wide spots.
The “invisible” seam up under the eve.
Two sides wired off!
Finding a way to drive the screw up into the vanishing undercurve of the logs was tough. I figured out a workaround half way through the final wall.
2/3 of the long wall remaining, but I’m getting stove-up and call it quits for the day.
I finish out the metal over the course of the morning, then set about cleaning up all the foam debris and old chinking.
In the afternoon I finally clean the packrattery off of the basement hoses, and hook one on to the house water down in the basement. Then I come up with my system for positioning all the mortaring equipment. Then I make some batches of mud.
Great Falls’ Home Depot doesn’t carry concrete dye. Are you frigging kidding me? On the way out of town we stop in at Ace Hardware- they have four little bottles of dye remaining, two brown and two buff (think orange-adobe). I’m mixing them together and hoping it is enough for the whole project. Getting the colors consistent will be a challenge. Not the color I’d planned, but anything is better than sidewalk gray.
One 80lb bag of S-type Mortar (Lyme, Concrete, Sand) did the first wall. I’m mixing the two bottles of buff to one bottle of brown, eyeballing it as I don’t have a container to mix them together. I’m hoping this covers it all. This isn’t working out too well, so I’ll have to just pour them all into an old coffee can or whatevs. Just in case, I’ll still have a bottle of brown and I’m waiting till last for the “invisible” seam under the eve’s, as well as the lowest run on each side.
If trying a new process, always start on the back side…the middle seams are a nice blend toward a Raw Sienna, and all the rest is brownish.
Sienna brown (lower) vs boring brown (upper). The day was sunny and mild, barely hitting 70, and tomorrow will be low 60’s (with overnight temps in the 40’s)- good temperatures for the mortar to cure out slowly and strong.
1 comment
  1. Karen Gerhart said:

    Wow, that looks great!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.