How to make Thursday last forever instantaneously.

Time to daub the rest of the building. The little brown jug with the blue top (bottom L) is my little jar of maths. Based on the amount of mortar-to-stain one “little” wall used yesterday, I figured the linear footage of the remaining 3 walls, allowing for some much wider runs. The little jar holds 20 3/4 full yellow cap doses to 20# dry mixes of mortar. Each blend of mortar completes one seam of narrow width of a full wall. Todays 20 mixes will eat up 5 80# bags of mortar and take 10 hours at a constant quick pace.
I’m saving the seam under the eve and the bottom runs on both long sides just in case I run out of my blended stain and have to switch to basic brown.
When I move to the front I begin mixing a bit more stain into the S-mortar, as this is the face of the building and I want it to sit well with the cleaned logs here, vs the dark oxidized wood of the rest of the building.
650mg acetminophin (aspirin) makes this all possible. Thanks for introducing us Kaye!
The day is blustery and cool, the gusty wind removes half the leaves from our central tree in the back yard. I mist the seams with water all day long to keep them from drying too quickly and weakening the set.
The technique is straight forward enough; after mixing the mortar to the right consistency load a heavy glorp onto the tray, then load some more, now hold the tray to the bottom line, and using a trowel push the daub through the screening to backfill any gaps and smooth out the surface, looking for a consistent thickness of around 1/4 inch covering the mesh. Load it in fast and strong, then go back and make a good top seam blended down to the bottom. Then jog back to the mixing tray, and if the mortar is firming up- don’t add water!- just mix it again. Think of a cement mixer always spinning to keep everything liquid.
My right arm was doing pretty well throughout the day. About now it began to catch fire.
The side I started on in the morning is finally finished, and I have enough stain for one more seam.
The seams under the eve were held til the last.
The only seam worse than the bottom seam is this one, or maybe it is the reverse.
I thought a lot about Cal-Wood over the last few days- an outdoor education center built by my stepfather back in the 1980’s. The Calvert Lodge was the central space, and the largest log structure built in Colorado for generations. This was not how any of that vast enterprise was done.
Two day’s later and the daub is mostly dry, but still curing out. It is much lighter in color than the chocolate filling when wet, now it is more of a chocolate meringue.
The wind is roaring about, but inside the cabin it is quiet and still. So that’s different!
The slight variation in dye on the front shifts to a darker caramel.
I reset the big-faced spring-thermometer (for looking at from inside the ranch house) and companion mercury thermometer ( for double-checking from outside how cold it really really is in winter).
Not quite a before/after, as the before shows all the loose old daubing removed- revealing the true level of disrepair that needed amending.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.