Marble arm prosthetic for the bronze figure. I wasn’t sure if it would work, but he says it feels almost normal. He is contemplating whether he wants a Marble foot as well.
The resin casting came out pretty well. I blended marble powder at nearly 1:1 with the resin, making these figures poly-marble. I have yet to clean them up; the heat from the resin kicking off in the mold found and bound every bit of clay that hadn’t been scrubbed from the silicon mold, and there is some chasing necessary as there are some areas that picked up air bubbles and etc- but nary a seam line anywhere. At some point I’ll switch up my media and do a set in cold-cast bronze. Now I wish I’d taken these little sketches just a bit further along and resolved some the proportional gaffes / refinement of features / extension of gesture. So I may remake them, to push them further toward Rodin’s use of torsion and collapsing v enervation.
These two small figures have been coming to life at a snail’s pace. Work small and fast, I thought. Use images from a long ago trip to the Rodin gardens in Paris, I thought. Try a new molding technique, I thought. I am now ready to mix up the silicon and pour the figures, after which I will cut the molds mostly apart. Then at some point I will pick up some plastic resin casting media, and see how that works. It everything mostly works out, then these may act as foundational figures for a mashup of forms I’ve been thinkin’ on- using the new-to-me media of casting resin. Ongoing to all that, I will continue creating new figures at this small scale.
It was a rainy drab day, so E and I drove down to Springville through washes of blusterstorms to see my bronze ladies that were juried into the big annual state art show. The museum was closed to prep for their art ball tonight, but they let us in for a quick walk-through to document the sculptures in-situ. The bronze ladies may not be the Belle’s of the Ball, but at least they get to attend without worrying about shoes and makeup.
I started this awhile back and meant to get back to it after teaching last fall, but a new series of figures and 10 big trout took precedence. I’ve never done a “flayed anatomy” figure before, so I’ve been looking at the New Masters Academy video tutorial with Eric Michael Wilson. It is painstaking and academic, but an artist is no good without a functional brain- and applied knowledge is the kind that sticks. Memorizing anatomy slips in and out of my noodle, but this echorce is helping cement a lot of structural knowledge.