It has been in the 60s and sunny for a week, so I grew this Pergola with autumn magic beans.
It has been in the 60s and sunny for a week, so I grew this Pergola with autumn magic beans. I worked on this in 5 stages, each stage taking me outside for the nicest part of the afternoon (after spending the nicest part of the morning out walking Nora in the hills or to the park).
I jumped up the height of two posts from the old abandoned fence line, adding two risers of 4×4″x4′. One riser is nicely fitted by cutting matching “L”s and bolting them flush, the other riser is directly under the eve of the big green tool shed and so it is connected with an overlap to the outside to jump up higher than the roofline.
The lofted structure is mainly pressure treated wood rather than Redwood, as it will be covered with the vine soon enough. The 2×4 running boards forming the outside triangle are bolted to the risers, and jointed at their ends like a woodworking nerd would do. Also, most Redwood (and many other hardwoods) is illegally harvested from Peruvian rainforest- exposed in an investigative report last week- so I limited the Redwood to four 2x2x8 runners of the top layer. The mid layer is toed on one end with pairs of 3.5” deck screws, and pinned on the opposite end with one screw- the triangle form made for some crazy drilling angles. The top layer of narrow Redwood stabilizes the structure from warping and twisting. The project was funded as an anniversary gift from my mom last summer, knowing I would eventually come up with another build-out for the yard. Thanks Mom!
The trumpet-flower vine will cover this in a jiffy next summer.
A few winters ago the dead cherry tree that the vine ensconced collapsed in an 80mph wind storm. I propped up the vine and replaced the tree with a 12′ 4×4; 3 feet in the ground and 9 feet in the air. The vine has overgrown the new pole and I had to trim it back hard this fall.
Nora has decided that this section of the yard can now be lounged in.
This is the view while writing this post. The wisteria pergola of a few summers ago is to the left, and the new trumpet pergola is straight through the middle aside the green shed.
Weld and Chase complete.
The Ibis is now ready for the watergate. I thought I had a solution in the works with a professional watergate manufacturer wanting to make the gate aspect, but it looks like it will be up to me. That idea cost me a month waiting for a bid, but luckily this project isn’t due ’til April.
Thinking about how nice it will be to have a watergate body one day.
Legs can’t really think for themselves, or contemplate the future.
Broze Ibis & Proto-Ibis
The Watergate Scandal: A local manufacturer specializing in water gates said they loved the idea and would be able to create the watergate cheaply out of spare bits since it won’t have to hold water. They were surprised when I asked for a bid, as they just wanted to get started. A month later their bid: $3,400 and asking for a go-ahead to get started on their 2.5 month process. Nutz. Next week begins a return to plan “A” of buying a brand name gate for $860 and adding some DangerHart mods.
Ibis migrated to the yard for some “me time” to get himself together.
The Ibis cast clean and Nora drove down to Alpine with me to fetch all the bits from the foundry. I welded the windows in place ’til parts needed chasing prior to more welding; then I went and worked on the Mustang for the rest of the afternoon, because chasing is for the birds. The ‘ol ponycar has been getting a spa-treatment radiator flush for the past 3 days, and today was the last day of the process. I took her to a classic car show in Liberty Park last weekend, and being around car-guys got me past my procrastination.
Windows are back in place.
Trying a new method of keeping my Tungsten clean and sharp for a tidier weld, after youtubing a few welding tips vids; always room to improve on the technical.
The weld is clean, but maybe a bit too much amperage.
A Xanderous growth on the Fern transplant.
The repotting of the fern just didn’t seem to take. Whatever could be the cause? I brought in a specialist who noticed this Xanderous growth. At this stage the fern is beyond recovery, unlike the other ferns in the room that were pre-treated with bamboo spikes.
The white pustule is a bit malignant.
Better than a box, a windowsill, a catbed: a fern. The vibrant fern in the foreground has bamboo skewers acting as tiger spikes. Sometimes he manages to lay between them…
Avian winter housing.
Spent a day making these little numbers. Multiple sparrows and finches can perch inside these winter houses. Inside there are rungs of perches, the hole is set low and there are no air vents to retain all the birdie-heat on cold nights. On cold days the wall gathers warmth, and the overhanging eve keeps them out of the elements. When the nights are single digits a bird or two can keep these near 30 degrees.
High up on a South facing warm wall.
The Back 40 is slowly becoming a bird sanctuary.
Nora was my spotter while up on the ladder.
Ahead Warp One. Crushin’ it. haHa-trekkie humor.
After refinishing the wood of the Kennedy Rocker, I decided to cane-weave the seat and back myself (the closest to caning I’ve been would be a macrame stint in 3rd grade that resulted in a plant hanger and an owl). Factoid: a bundle of caning is called a Hank. This was a two Hank project. I Hanked the Rocker, but the chair is also named Hank.
Nora photobombs are always glam. Also, Wefting right along- haHa! Nose on a Stick! (obscure Colbert reference from Harvey Birdman still used by ED in our coded nitwittery.)
Wefting to the right, after backfilling the left with Weft.
New England Porch Weave is the pattern I laid down.
My weftin goes aaall the way-around!
Need a sarsaparilla whiskey and some high humidity to get a true sense of porch settin’.
Rocker Back front.
Rocker Back back.
Rocker Seat: a square with two triangles.
Acreage of cane ache.