Archive

Tag Archives: Labradors

12
14
13
16
1
0
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11

Saturday I went back to chasing, as I still wasn’t happy with some areas. Sunday was sandblast and patina for the sitting lady. I created a French Brown with brushed back highlights. This coloration came out so well I’m tempted to blast down the male & female figures with spheres and give them a French Brown as well. The two dogs contrast and complement eachother nicely in coloration and form. They won’t be installed til spring. They will be in the same forested “yard” as the single trout by a pond up in the mountains beyond Park City. They will be set on a large flat stone under a canopy of pine trees. Til then, they will reside in our sun room and continue to surprise the cat and the humans.

When last we saw the Labs they were getting Smurfy. The next step is creating a fiberglass mold over the silicon Smurf mold. This is an itchy and smelly layer of carcenogenic doom that a part of me always tries to believe isn’t really happening- so no pictures. If you want to see the fiberglass process look to the Gambel’s Quail file. The fiberglass mold has been created and removed from the silicon layer, and these images show the process of cutting the silicon mold along the seam/separation ridge.

I found a great alternate use for exercise bands: I attach one end to a steel shelf across the room and the other end hooks to a spring clip that pinches on the mold and pulls at the seams. I use two bands to act as two helping hands to pull the mold open. This keeps my hands out of the way of the exacto knife as I cut the seam in crisscrossing zigsags that will key back together like a big zipper and keep the molten wax from escaping the mold.

I tried two alternative mold keys (wedge & sphere shapes) that lock the silicon layer into the fiberglass, locking them together. The sitting dog had wedges, and after a little snipping and fenagaling they popped securely into their spaces! minor disaster averted, minor success logged.

The big success is another mother mold process is successful- as a disaster at this point means the entire work is lost.

Next they head to the foundry for wax pour, then I retrieve them and pull out the waxes and Chase them of seam lines and imperfections. Then I run them back to the foundry where they are cut apart and cast in bronze sections. Then I pick up the sections and grind them out and weld it all back together, then Chase the welds and etc. til they are perfect.